From the early 1900s through the 1970s, a very large area of North Trenton surrounding St. James Church was comprised of Sicilian immigrants.
San Calogero (St. Charles the Hermit) is the patron saint of many places in Sicily. In the early years of St. James, a group of immigrants from the small town of Casteltermini in Sicily formed a committee and sent to their hometown for a statue of San Calogero. The statue, carved by the sculptor Michele Caltagirone, arrived at St. James Church on Sept. 15, 1923. The current society officially began on Aug. 2, 1942, under the leadership of Rev. Thomas Rocca, pastor of St. James. The devotion to San Calogero continues to this day. To mark the feast of San Calogero in the first week of June, a Mass is celebrated in St. James Church, followed by a traditional Sicilian meal of pasta with eggplant. This dinner is open to all members of our faith-based community. The society meets on the first Sunday of the month in Trinity Hall following the 9:30 a.m. Mass.
Meetings: First Sunday of the Month, following the 9:30AM Mass at. St. James, 29 East Paul Ave., Trenton, NJ 08638
President: Deacon James Alessi
Contact Info: 609-882-2860
Membership Information: Dues are $10 per year, payable in January.